nsclient++ and nrpe commands

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 28 23:17:29 CET 2007

I believe that the 'Illegal metacharacter' error message is generated
because your command contains a '>' character, which could potentially
be someone trying to use shell redirect to break in to your machine.

You will definitely need to escape or quote the > to prevent the shell
interpreting it.

I don't know if this error is being produced by check_nrpe, by
nsclient++, or by Nagios itself.  Certainly on our system, Nagios 1.4
does not check commands for illegal characters, and check_nrpe 2.5.2
does not either, so my guess is that nsclient++ is doing it.  Make sure
you have your parameters quoted and check nsclient++ for definitions of
illegal characters...

Steve

--
Steve Shipway