Uptime error

Wed Feb 28 10:17:01 CET 2007

I think you need to explain what you're trying to do overall, as this
isn't making any sense to me!

You cannot possibly determine which server is responding using it's
uptime output.
A more sensible option surely would be it's hostname?

#!/bin/bash
hostname
exit 0

However you're going to run into a lot of trouble trying to use Nagios
to monitor a server using its dynamic IP address.
I think to start with you need to be looking at a solution such as
Dynamic DNS (e.g. No-IP, DynDNS for commercial services, or Bind with
DNSSEC/TSIG if you use Bind within your organisation.)
Your machines would then change their DNS address when they detect their
IP address has changed, and you would definite it's dynamic DNS hostname
as the host_name directive to Nagios.
Only thing you'd have to watch would be if your DNS service fails,
Nagios will fail on everything.

Re your last e-mail, please give example outputs of what you see on the
command-line and what Nagios says.

Andy.