Problem with check_http and a Cisco CSS 11501

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Tue Feb 27 23:25:40 CET 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Scott Frazer wrote:

> I'm having issues with check_http checking a hostname that's actually a
> virtual ip address of a Cisco CSS 11501.  The check will succeed initially,
> but eventually begin to fail, taking longer and longer to return, or
> eventually timeout.
>
> If I extend the timeout to a very high amount, the process usually returns a
> 200 message, but it can delay well over a minute to do so.

I suggest you setup a packet capture and trace the specific sessions. It
should tell you exactly if the CSS is just becoming darn slow with replies
or it has to do something with your server.

> I've compiled Nagios 2.7 and the plugins version 1.4.6 on an Ubuntu 6.10
> LAMP server without errors, and the interfaces all seem to work fine.  I've
> got the system monitoring websites on both IIS and Apache servers (bypassing
> the CSS) without any problems.
>
> I've tried doing the install on two separate servers (one virtual, one
> physical) and even tried going back to a previous version of the plugins.
> My next step will probably be trying the install on a Fedora Core server and
> seeing if that changes anything.  Is anyone else monitoring virtual IP
> addresses on a Cisco load balancer? Can anyone give me advice on where to
> look next?

I would not waste anytime on building a new server untill you know what is
going on based on the packet capture.

Depending on the exact CSS settings this may just be a CSS noting a DoS
condition.

Perhaps I need to fire up my old CSS and see what happens. (I actually
still have an ArrowPoint CSS ;-)

Hugo.

--
 	hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org	http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/