Problem with check_http and a Cisco CSS 11501

Scott Frazer sfrazer at duoconsulting.com
Tue Feb 27 19:11:20 CET 2007

I'm having issues with check_http checking a hostname that's actually a
virtual ip address of a Cisco CSS 11501.  The check will succeed initially,
but eventually begin to fail, taking longer and longer to return, or
eventually timeout.

If I extend the timeout to a very high amount, the process usually returns a
200 message, but it can delay well over a minute to do so.

I've compiled Nagios 2.7 and the plugins version 1.4.6 on an Ubuntu 6.10
LAMP server without errors, and the interfaces all seem to work fine.  I've
got the system monitoring websites on both IIS and Apache servers (bypassing
the CSS) without any problems.

I've tried doing the install on two separate servers (one virtual, one
physical) and even tried going back to a previous version of the plugins.
My next step will probably be trying the install on a Fedora Core server and
seeing if that changes anything.  Is anyone else monitoring virtual IP
addresses on a Cisco load balancer? Can anyone give me advice on where to
look next?

Thanks,
Scott