useful oracle checks

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon Feb 26 14:20:20 CET 2007

I confess I haven't used these yet myself (probably ought to though).
The ones I would immediately pick are:

check_oracle --tns <Oracle Sid or Hostname/IP address>
and
check_oracle --tablespace <ORACLE_SID> <USER> <PASS> <TABLESPACE>

I probably wouldn't bother with most of the others on the principle
that if I can't interrogate the tablespaces, I can't connect to the
databases either.  I'm not sure how the tablespace check would work
with auto-extending tablespaces if you use them.

I haven't used an Oracle Names server AFAIAA, so I don't know how
useful that would be.

Wolfgang Barth's book "Nagios" has a section on using the Oracle
Instant Client to monitor Oracle Databases which might be worth
reading too.

Cheers,

Jim