Notifications by SMS

Matthew Joyce MJoyce at ccia.unsw.edu.au
Mon Feb 26 03:45:01 CET 2007

Wfiw, we use the email to sms service provided by
http://www.messagemedia.com.au/  (Australia)

It works ok, we use an alternate smtp server which isn't ours.
I'm not overly happy with using smtp-sms, there a lot that can go wrong,
much out of my control.
Message Media does provide APIs which from a very brief look will
contact the sms service via HTTP.
In my mind HTTP (via PHP) is potentially more attractive than using
SMTP.
Still, if there's still pleanty of ways this can fail too.

I'm not sure if it's because the SMTP server we use is part of a cluster
(it is), or load balancing of sms servers, but if there is a lot of
messages they don't arrive in order.

I'm considering having a GSM phone attached to the nagios servers, or a
pci card like this
http://www.amplified.com.au/GSM_Modem.aspx
I would if I could be sure linux was supported and I could craft a
wrapper.

Matthew Joyce
02 9382 0051 | IT Manager | Children's Cancer Institute Australia for
Medical Research