Notifications by SMS

Fri Feb 23 14:07:43 CET 2007

I think this could spark an interesting discussion!

Both AQL and Text Anywhere (providers I've used in the past) take only
the subject and the body (up to the 160-character limit) as the text
message body.
Taking the entire e-mail including headers seems bad practice for the
obvious reasons of message length restrictions!

TextAnywhere also do some other interesting things, based upon which TA
domain you send your e-mail to:

- Take the first 11 characters of the e-mail subject as the originator
ID (instead of your mobile number) and the first 160 characters of the
body as the text message
- Take the first 160 characters of the e-mail body as the text message,
setting the originator ID to your account's default mobile number
- Take the entire e-mail body and send as many SMSes as needed to send
the complete message (up to 3 messages will get linked as 1 by your handset)

If you use the HTTP gateway there are a lot more options you can do,
including getting a delivery report back when the message has been
delivered to the handset (obviously custom programming on your side is
needed.)

Andy.