Notifications by SMS

Derek J. Balling deballing at vassar.edu
Fri Feb 23 13:28:52 CET 2007

Chaim Keren Tzion wrote:
> What are the recommended ways to have Nagios send SMS notifications via the
> net? (Non modem solutions please.) Free and non-free.

Via which "net"? Do you consider a GSM-Terminal solution to be a "modem
solution"? (I wouldn't FYI, but there's similarities, sure).

We installed a Siemens TC65T in our data center and attached it to our
Nagios server. So our Nagios server has a GSM telephone number
associated with it, and it can happily issue SMS messages directly OTA
to our GSM phones.

Like I said, it's not a "modem", but there are similarities. But also a
lot less error-prone (you'll never get notified a couple hundred times
after you bring up the mail server, that "the mail system is down", for
example). Also, since it's OTA, it's not like you have to bring POTS
service to the box. Contrarily, though, depending on your situation,
getting a GSM signal in the colo may not be the easiest thing in the world.

Cheers,

Derek J. Balling
Manager of Systems Administration
Vassar College