Notifications by SMS

Fri Feb 23 02:00:29 CET 2007

There are plenty of email-to-SMS providers out there.

www.textanywhere.net
www.aql.com

To name 2 that spring to mind (UK-based.)

They all use pretty much the same approach - send an e-mail to
<your_sms_device_number>@<providers_domain>.tld, and it'll relay the
first 160 characters (or whatever the network allows) of the e-mail to
the mobile device number.

I've used both AQL and TextAnywhere, TA has a slightly quicker response
time than AQL on sent messages, and they invoice us on a monthly basis
rather than having to pre-pay (like AQL, where we often ran into the
problem of running out of credit, then messages don't get relayed.)

I'm sure there are some free providers that may do this too, but the
paid ones often implement better solutions (like TA has a HTTP and SOAP
protocol so you can POST a HTTP request in the correct format to
generate a text message rather than using e-mail.)

HTH,

Andy.