sample/default cfg files...

Rob Blake rob.blake at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 09:41:39 CET 2007

On 2/20/07, abid dar <snyper9311 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I got nagios installed and the plugin installed properly (thanks to those
> that helped.. I needed to install mysql-devel).
>
> However, I am having trouble trying to figure out why sample config are
> not there..
>
> for example all see in my: /usr/local/nagios/etc/
>
> cgi.cfg-sample
> commands.cfg-sample
> localhost.cfg-sample
> nagios.cfg-sample
> resource.cfg-sample
>
> I don't see some of the other files like:
> hosts.cfg
> services.cfg
> hostgroup.cfg

Because localhost.cfg is the basic example configuration in which are
contained example host, service, contact definitions. In
nagios.cfg-sampleyou'll notice that the other files you mentioned are
commented out. You
don't have to split your configuration of objects at all, but most people do
it for the sake of clarity and understanding. So for example you could if
you wanted to put all your hosts,services,timeperiods and contacts into one
configuration file, it just wouldn't make pleasant reading as the size of
your Nagios installation grows.

Rob

or are these only in the previous version?