What to Monitor

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 19 04:43:22 CET 2007

> So far I have monitors running on the host's responding to pings, to
> load average, and to the mail queue.  Anything else anyone
> can suggest
> that I monitor?  I've only got three or four mailservers, so I don't
> mind going a smidgen overboard on their monitoring...

We also monitor -

CPU, Memory, filesystems, load average, swap activity, mail queues
(active and deferred), mail throughput in messages/min (passed, spam,
virus) plus a detailed analysis of the virus types and spam rules,
greylisting activity and database size, tcp ports for each mail input
and relay stage, SMTPS SSL certificate expiry, active users, active
connections, time taken for a test email to pass through the system,
number of mail processes (postfix, amavis, gld), virus scanner daemons,
mail cluster activity, performance, and failover.

Plus most of this is also graphed where possible.

Steve

--
Steve Shipway
ITSS, University of Auckland