Using SSH to run remote command checks

Nagios Mail nagiosmail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:04:31 CET 2007

I wanted to update this problem as it appears to have never been resolved.
The current version of check_by_ssh still returns an "UKNOWN" status in
nagios. I have ran the command manually from the command line and echoed $?,
and while it does return 0, nagios is putting in an UNKNOWN status. Not only
that but the status appears to be flapping.

The Critical and Warning status appear to work every time, but when an OK
status is returned from one of the check programs (check_load, check_disk,
check_process), check_by_ssh returns an UNKNOWN almost 80% of the time.

I've followed up with three different people on this list who have reported
the problem, and all of them just decided to move to NRPE.

Has anyone gotten this plugin to work? I am assuming this is a code problem
with check_by_ssh