email notice problem

Fri Feb 16 17:30:44 CET 2007

admin at lctn.org wrote:
>> If you "su" to the Nagios user, and just run "mail" - does it yield
>> anything, or "command not found"?
>>
>> The error seems to be (as someone previously said) it's piping your
>> notification text to " -s "Host DOWN..."" which isn't a valid command.
>> You need to change your notification command to pipe the result to "mail
>> -s ...." instead of " -s ..."
>>
>> You may also need to try "sendmail" (I don't use sendmail so I don't
>> know if "mail" is part of it or not.)
>>

> I inserted "sendmail", but still get the err. I am working on the syntax
> to see if I can resolve the error. What does everyone else have installed
> that the "mail" command works. I really don't care what MTA is used, just
> so I can get the sample, and new configs to work. I assumed on the install
> it would locate sendmail and insert the appropriate commands, but
> obviously, I was wrong.

No, Nagios doesn't assume anything because everyone's networks/servers
are setup differently.
Try an absolute path to sendmail (use "whereis sendmail" to locate it if
you're not sure.)

The trick is to (while logged in or "su'd" to the Nagios user) manually
type out a command and keep adjusting until it works - then put that
into Nagios.
e.g. echo "Test e-mail"|/usr/sbin/sendmail -s "Host DOWN" admin at domain.com

Andy.