Scheduling queue falling behind.

Jason Byrns jason-sourceforge at microlnk.net
Thu Feb 15 20:35:53 CET 2007

Morris, Patrick wrote:
>> I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, but I've
>> been trying to figure out why the scheduling queue on my
>> nagios server is always 20-30 minutes behind the current
>> time.

I ran into something like this, not that long ago.  Host and service
check latencies being very high, like almost 15-20 minutes.  After some
research, the suggested fix was to modify the check_host_alive and
related commands.

Change them so they only use a single packet to check.  Add "-p 1" as a
flag to your ping-type check commands.

Once I followed this advice, my average latency went from 900 seconds or
so, to usually less than a second.

We monitor about 250-300 devices, 95% of them only have a single service
check.  (Usually SNMP)

--
Jason Byrns
Production Manager