Nagios and DHCP

Robert Wolfe rwolfe at shatterit.com
Thu Feb 15 13:26:12 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 14:10 +0200, Sean Thomas wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Here is an example of my define host entries:
>

> define host{
>           use                                generic-host
>           host_name                      random.random.org
>           alias                               Random Server
>           address                          xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>           parents                           random
>           check_command             check-host-alive
>           max_check_attempts       20
>           notification_interval           60
>           notification_period            24x7
>           notification_options          d,u,r
>            }
>
> How do configure the address line to work with a client who is given
> an address via DHCP?

I believe the host would have to have a static IP to get this to work.
Otherwise, you would have to change these entries each time the IP
address changed.

I have a router at home and run NAGIOS, but have it set to where
anything at 192.168.1.100 is a dynamic IP and everything below it is
static.  My two boxes that I monitor have static IP addresses so that
Nagios (amongst other things) can work properly.