cpu usage / memory usage

raghavendra kristam raghavendra.kristam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 08:47:04 CET 2007

Hi Hugo,

Thanks for the reply.

I need to handle both CPU usage and Memory usage.

i) I think check_load plugin supports cpu usage which provides the load
information using with: uptime command. If we need cpu usage with vmstat
command which plugin do I need to use.

ii) How to handle memory usage, which plugin do I need to use.

Correct me if am wrong with this understanding.

Thanks,
Raghavendra.

>> Can some one provide directions how to handle cpu usage / memory
> usage.
>> I am using check_disk plugin for disk usage.
>
> Assuming you're talking about a unix variant, check_load is included in
> the standard plugins and can be used to infer cpu usage. There are also
> quite a few cpu and memory specific plugins available at
> http://www.nagiosexchange.org.

Correct me if I am wrong but the load on a unix system is not quite
nescessary related to the CPU usage.

You can get the load info for example with: uptime
 19:24:23 up 165 days,  1:09,  3 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00

And your CPU usage with: vmstat
procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- --system--
----cpu----
 r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in    cs us sy id
wa
 0  0   1072  67176 184720 792936    0    0     0    76 1138   110  0  0
100  0

While there usually is a relation between the two of them they are two
different things.

The question is which of these two do you (raghavendra kristam) want?

There is a check_load plugin that does the load thing. For most alerting
purposes that is quite enough. As th load tends to go up if you are low on
memory.

Hugo.