Nagios false positive returns critical but serviceis really OK

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Feb 12 20:17:05 CET 2007

[chop]

> I did find it in /usr/local/nagios/var, which I guess I could have
> epxected.
> This is all it says: [1171170000] CURRENT SERVICE STATE:
> aas4.aas.duke.edu;NonBackupLoad;CRITICAL;HARD;3
> ;<A

href="https://bb.aas.duke.edu/nagios/mon_data/load/loadmsg152.3.56.13.tx
t"
> >Cannot Obtain Load Info, please check on 152.3.56.13

[chop]

> returns an answer too.  It's like it just doesn't make it into the web
> interface, even though it does for every other machine in that service
> definition (and, of course, worked for this one until yesterday).

But it is ;). The error message "Cannot Obtain Load Info, please check
on 152.3.56.13" is not a nagios error message. It's almost certainly
coming directly from your home-grown check scripts. It would appear to
me that some condition is occurring during the check that your
home-grown script can't deal with so it generates a general failure
message for nagios to display. When you're testing the script during
this failure time, are you doing so as the nagios user and exactly as
nagios is calling it? When this was occurring, was the nagios Last Check
time reasonable and in line with your normal_check_interval? That will
help determine if the check was being performed and you were seeing a
consistent error reported by your plugin.

--
Marc