Nagios false positive returns critical but service is really OK

Bryn Smith bryn at aas.duke.edu
Mon Feb 12 17:14:59 CET 2007

Hi all,
I've got a setup of CentOS 4.4 and nagios-2.3.1, and I have one server
that started reporting critical errors over the weekend.  I logged in
and checked the server, and it was fine.  I restarted nagios, and the
problem state persisted, but since the machine itself was fine, I logged
off and didn't worry about it for a while.  Later that day, I logged in
again, and everything was showing green.
This morning when I came in, the same seven services on this one machine
were showing red again.  Again, the machine is fine.  I have all of the
services set up for escalations, and not once over the weekend did
nagios send critical notifications to my pager, which is also odd.
The services for this machine are configured in a large group with the
other servers in my care, and none of the other services are showing any
problems.
Bryn Smith (Ms) A&SIST 660-2434 jabber IM: bryn at jabber.duke.edu