Nagios vs intel itanium

Jay Chandler chandler.lists at chapman.edu
Wed Feb 7 03:52:32 CET 2007

Mestdagh Tommy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m new to nagios and linux as well, mmm years before i played with it
> at home. Now its for real.
>
> We intent to run nagios on a intel Itanium platform running Centos2.
>
> Do we need to recompile, or can we install a rpm ?
>
> If someone here as any experience, compiling and installing on Itanium
> please post your comments.
>
> All be pleased to read & learn.
>
> Regards
>
> Tommy

Hi there!

CentOS 2 is rather deprecated at this point-- what I'd suggest doing
just for support reasons if nothing else is repurposing an old desktop
(unless you've got a tremendous number of boxes to monitor) and running
it there. I do suspect you'll find that getting support for "oddities"
is MUCH better on the i386 platform.

As an aside, we used to build around CentOS 4.4, and had severe issues
with how outdated packages were, with regard to security updates. Made
the switch to FreeBSD and haven't looked back since, but that's enough
advocacy for one post. :-)

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University
714.628.7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
Today's Excuse: Too many interrupts