check_dirsize and "CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout"

Yogesh Hasabnis yhasabnis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 12:08:18 CET 2007

Hi All,

I am using nrpe and check_dirsize plugin to monitor the home directory sizes
of quite a few users. I receive the error "CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after
10 seconds" during the checking of quite a few directories. This error isn't
observed at each check or for each directory. It is observed very randomly
(say every 3rd check of a directory on an average). The error is observed
for the larger directories most of the times.  So assuming that the
check_dirsize plugin is taking longer to complete the check, I have set the
"command_timeout" value to 240 from the original default of 60 in the
nrpe.cfg of the remote host. Also changed the service_check_timeout value to
240 in the nagios.cfg on the nagios host. But I still get the error messages
quite a few times (not always). What could be the resolution for this error?

Secondly, is there any way to always schedule these checks at a specific
time. I would like to schedule them after work hours, because I suspect that
the access to the host on which these directories are located, becomes slow
when these checks are running.

Thanks in advance.

Yogesh