Service Dependencies - refer to self

Sun Feb 4 13:12:59 CET 2007

Is there any way to make a service dependency refer to the service's own
host?

For example:

I have a list of services that perform basic health checking
(disk-space, swap-space, load, uptime etc) across all servers defined in
Nagios.
There is also a service on every server that checks that NRPE is running.

What I'd like to do is create a service dependency so that all the basic
health checks only get checked/notified if NRPE is running.
However, I cannot seem to create a dependency that refers to it's own host.

E.g.

define servicedependency {
    hostgroup_name            all_servers
    service_description        Remote Monitoring Agent
    dependent_hostgroup_name    all_servers
    dependent_service_description    Disk Space (OS)
    inherits_parent            0
    execution_failure_criteria    c
    notification_failure_criteria    w,u,c,p
}

What this does, and I understand why, is that one server's "Disk Space
(OS)" service depends on every other server's "Remote Monitoring Agent",
instead of just it's own.

I'd need something like:

define servicedependency {
    host_name            _self
    service_description        Remote Monitoring Agent
    dependent_host_name    _self
    dependent_service_description    Disk Space (OS)
    inherits_parent            0
    execution_failure_criteria    c
    notification_failure_criteria    w,u,c,p
}

So the service "Disk Space (OS)" is dependent on the "Remote Monitoring
Agent" on that same server.

The only way forward I can see for now is creating a service dependency
for every host, for every health check service (which for me means
upwards of 40 dependencies.)

I hope this is a good enough explanation of what I'm trying to do - can
this be done?

Thanks

Andy.