Processes hanging - Nagios 3rc1 on FreeBSD

Alex French alex at evilal.com
Fri Dec 28 11:48:19 CET 2007

Hi,

Running rc1 on FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE. Compiled both from ports and from
original source (no difference in syptoms).

- Nagios starts fine, no errors, I can see all the service checks as
"pending" through the CGI interface after startup.

- The service checks get run (I can see the temp output files in the
check_results directory) but the status never gets updated, and the
child process hangs around forever hogging memory & cpu.

I have tried modifying the reaper timer as per the FAQ, but it makes
no difference (and anyway I only have the default sample localhost
services configured so this shouldn't be the issue).

Any suggestions on how to debug this?

Thanks,

Alex