CFG_DIR recursive feature..

Chris Haulmark chris at sigd.net
Thu Dec 27 17:26:12 CET 2007

If
> > you
> > > are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the
> > sender
> > > immediately by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate or
> copy
> > > it.

> > > ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when
> > > reporting any issue.
> > > ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to
> /dev/null
>

> Try an absolute path.
> This is mine:
>
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/printers
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/switches
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/routers
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/services
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/servicegroups
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostdependencies
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/servicedependencies
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contacts
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contactgroups
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/timeperiods
> cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/commands

This is the first thing I did when I noticed this problem.

I noticed that you may not have a directory containing the cfg files
in those listed directories?  They look like default paths?

My actual directories are:

/usr/local/etc/nagios/svchosts-NAGIOS2/clients
/usr/local/etc/nagios/svchosts-NAGIOS2/servers
/usr/local/etc/nagios/svchosts-NAGIOS2/networks

There are cfg files in each of those directories relevant to
its purposes.

In the nagios.cfg, I have those lines:

cfg_dir=svchosts.FBSD02/
#cfg_dir=svchosts.FBSD02/clients
#cfg_dir=svchosts.FBSD02/servers
#cfg_dir=svchosts.FBSD02/networks

Testings were done to make sure the . (period) was not the culprit.
I tried dashes and without any special characters.  I used absolute
paths too.

Nagios always failed with no services or hosts found.  Those services
and hosts .cfg files are in those three directories.  If I removed
the comments from those three cfg_dir lines, nagios would start up
successfully.

It is apparent that you are running Linux because of the different etc
path compared to FreeBSD's.  It is not supposed to be relevant to this
situation.

Right now, I am using nagios-devel RC1 on FreeBSD 6.2.  There are two
different slaves that are using either svchosts.FBSD02 and
svchosts.FBSD03.  I had hoped to use the master which would load both
svchosts.FBSD01, svchosts.FBSD02, and svchosts.FBSD03.

It would have been easy to use three of cfg_dir lines instead of several
for each directories inside those primary directories.

Chris