Authentication best practices

svalding at kent.edu svalding at kent.edu
Fri Dec 21 14:31:25 CET 2007

List,

   I currently implemented NagVis into our Nagios installation, and have
it working wonderfully. My question is as follows. Currently we only
have the nagios administrator set up to authenticate to the web and view
everything on the nagios site and nagvis.
  What I would like to have is a guest account setup so that we map link
our Nagvis maps off of our helpdesk site so that users can view the
picture of our network and see the mail server is down if they are not
getting email, saving us the trouble of dealing with a ticket, and them
the time sending it, since we will have already known about the problem
with nagios anyways. What would be the best practice for me to
accomplish this? I know I will have to give them accesss to the
status.cgi in cgi.cfg, but what else should be done to allow this?