Best way to manage host-specific thresholds?

Cipriani, Robert C Robert.Cipriani at mybrighthouse.com
Thu Dec 20 15:34:21 CET 2007

Group,

I am trying to wrap my head around the best way to manage things like ping RTA/packet loss, partition free space warn/critical, cpu/memory use, etc.  I can set these up using custom object variables for a host template, and reference them via macros in the command definition.  If I need a different setting for a particular host, I can override these inherited values in that host's config.  check_nrpe throws a bit of a wrench in this - I'd probably need a different command set up for each item I'd like to check via NRPE.  Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

Another item I'm struggling with is how to monitor partitions easily. I can check all filesystems by just passing "/" as the argument. This makes it easy since I don't care what the separate partitions are - if there is /var, /usr, and so on these will automatically be checked.  One problem is that if any one of these exceeds the threshold, the notification will occur, even if all the others are fine.  I am trying to avoid having to set up a service for each partition on each host.  Any thoughts on this? I'd rather use Nagios for this rather than something like Vertias Volume Manager's space monitoring.

My generic host template:

define host{
        name                            generic-host    ; The name of this host template
        notifications_enabled           1               ; Host notifications are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1               ; Host event handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1               ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1               ; Failure prediction is enabled
        process_perf_data               1               ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1               ; Retain status information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1               ; Retain non-status information across program restarts
        notification_period             24x7            ; Send host notifications at any time
        register                        0               ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!

        #Default threshold variables
        #check_ping
        _PING-RTA-W                      50             ;Round Trip Average Warn
        _PING-RTA-C                      100            ;Round Trip Average Crit
        _PING-PL-W                       10%            ;Packet Loss Warn
        _PING-PL-C                       20%            ;Packet Loss Crit
        _PING-PKT                        5              ;Packet count
 }

My check_ping command:

define command{
        command_name    check_ping
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $_HOSTPING-RTA-W$,$_HOSTPING-PL-W$ -c $_HOSTPING-RTA-C$,$_HOSTPING-PL-C$ -p $_HOSTPING-PKT$
        }

Robert C. Cipriani
Senior Network Administrator
Tampa Bay Division IT