Announce: Check All Automatic Windows Services Plugin

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:59:52 CET 2007

Hi,

   I have just released a plugin for Windows to check all automatic
services. I got this idea from NagiosExchange in fact and thought it was
a good one, except that it only ran with NC_Net which I have no
intention of using, and was a bit of a nagios server side hack against
remote servers, the kind of thing I do a lot but wouldn't release since
they are inefficient and cheap (I may rewrite some of those things in fact).

I've written this plugin to hopefully be better than the other one in
every way:

1. It will work with any Nagios Remote Execution Method (I like
NSClient++ for it's simplicity of automated deployment)
2. Native Windows Execution - Written as a WSF (VBS + XML) - will work
on any modern Windows Operating System
3. Efficient - Only 1 Execution Call to check everything
4. Flexible - Accepts service exclusions, windows and unix options and
shortcuts, can run against remote servers as easily as local server
5. Simple, you can just run it if you don't have fancy needs.
6. Written to follow Nagios coding guidelines quite closely as always,
with debugging verbosity, timeout etc.

I'm not sure how good an idea you guys out there think this is, but I
thought it was quite useful as it's only 1 check in your nagios
interface but will alert you to any number of automatic startup services
having died or stopped for any reason, and gives a good catch-all net
for things that should be but aren't running, even if you otherwise
haven't thought of it or don't normally monitor it.

Extra tripwires are good I think...

Hope some of your find it useful.

Feedback, feature requests, bugs, discussion on coding style or general
questions about this are welcome at this address.
As always, I'm always eager to have feedback, I've written it as well as
I could before releasing it (which is why it's already at version 0.8)
but am always open to making improvements.

Thanks for reading.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon