Linux Software Raid Plugin Recommendation?

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Wed Dec 19 15:12:54 CET 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 8:02 AM, Miah, W (Wadud) wrote:

> We use SNMP to monitor hardware RAID arrays (of course, they must be
> IP
> based). If you're using certain 3ware controllers, you can also use
> smartd to monitor the member devices (see man smartctl). Or, if you're
> using mdadm (software RAID), set the following line in /etc/mdadm.conf
>
> PROGRAM /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/md_monitor
>
> which alerts Nagios that your RAID array is degraded (see man mdadm).
> The above service will have to be configured as a passive check (can
> be
> set up to be a passive/active check using freshness_threshold and
> check_freshness). What kind of RAID do you want to monitor? e.g.
> software or hardware?

Anything that has a command line utility that gives you text output
displaying the status of your array can be scripted to create your own
plug in.  You just may need to know a little sh/perl/python to get it
done.

What utility do you use to check the status of your array now?  Can
you give me some sample output?  Perhaps I have the time to script
something for you today.

-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks