AIX log monitoring with check_log

Russell Adams RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.Com
Thu Dec 13 07:15:34 CET 2007

> Wow, that is right up my alley.  I know very little about AIX and am getting
> used to their funky way of doing logs!

Roger,

I've posted a short HOWTO for using the ODM to perform error
notification at:

http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/AISTWiki/bin/view/AIS/AixErrorLogCustomization

You could easily adapt this to trigger a passive Nagios service.

Also note that syslogd logs to /dev/null by default on AIX. I strongly
recommend that you configure syslogd and optionally use a central
syslog server.

I normally advocate using a log processing software in conjunction
with Nagios. It isn't practical to configure a service for every
matching log condition in Nagios. Having a single service triggered by
a log processor, resulting in Nagios managing the notifications is
much preferred. I prefer Logmuncher for reporting with syslog-ng as
the backend.

Let me know what you end up doing on AIX. I'd be keen to hear what you
decide on.

Thanks!

Russell Adams                            RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.com