On-demand service macros in Nagios 3.0b7: Hit by a bug related to an empty host name field?

David Knecht david.knecht at anyweb.ch
Fri Dec 7 08:31:10 CET 2007

Hi all,

I think I am probably struggling with a bug of Nagios 3.0b7:

According to

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/macros.html

"On-demand service macros can contain an empty host name field. In this
case the name of the host associated with the service will automatically
be used."

This works well in my environment...

define service {
         host_name                       testhost
         check_command ...$SERVICESTATEID:testhost:[10] Mobile IP Tunnel
Status$...

--> Result of the on-demand service macro processing: "0"

...while this does not:

define service {
         host_name                       testhost
         check_command                   ...$SERVICESTATEID::[10] Mobile
IP Tunnel Status$...

--> Result of the on-demand service macro processing: "::[10] Mobile IP
Tunnel Status$" ==> The on-demand service macro does not get processed
correctly!

Can anybody confirm that this is a bug? In case a configuration error
might be causing this: Please advise!

Thanks, David