Adding a CFG file for virtual machines

mark redding mwjredding at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:21:16 CET 2007

Hi,

> I would like to add a separate group within Nagios for my virtual machines.
> I created a file called virtual.cfg and changed the HOST GROUP DEFINITION to
> the following:

Firstly, your hostgroup does not appear to have any members defined within it ?

ie.

define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  smtp-servers
        alias           mail servers
        members         smtp1,smtp2
}

Secondly,

Your 'use' statement should typically be that of an 'unregistered'
'define host' definition and not a hostgroup definition.

ie.

define host{
        name                            virtual-host       ; The name
of this host template - referenced in other host definitions
        notifications_enabled           1               ; Host
notifications are enabled
        notification_period             24x7
        event_handler_enabled           0               ; Host event
handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1               ; Flap
detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1               ; Process
performance data
        retain_status_information       1               ; Retain
status information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1               ; Retain
non-status information across program restarts
        contact_groups                  admin,techsupp
        notification_interval           60
        notification_options            d,u,r
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           10
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        obsess_over_host                1
        register                        0               ; DONT
REGISTER THIS DEFINITION
}

as the template, and something like :-

define host{
        use                     virtual-host
        host_name               smtp1
        alias                   (smtp1) incoming smtp server
        check_command           check-host-alive
}

for the actual virtual host.

--
bright blessings,