RES: RES: NRPE question

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:50:30 CET 2007

Kevin Scott Sumner wrote:
> Once you get into using cron for pulls and scripts to automate
> configuration, it's probably time you start thinking about cfengine or
> something like it.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but cfengine
> et al have already built the wheel you're trying to reinvent with
> cron/scripts.
>
> Also, I think you can make machines do updates from one central source
> if you setup the correct daemons, along with having them start regular
> runs from cron.  With this setup, you get the benefit of routine pulls
> along with initiated pulls (essentially a push) whenever you need it.
> Check on cfexecd, if your interested.
Seems you have the same idea as me, I was actually talking about push
not pulls in the first instance, which is nice because it's instant and
you can write stuff in like regression tests which I like doing, so that
new stuff is tested as working, rather than you changing something and
then finding out it's broken after the fact you sent it to all your servers.

For the pull scenario, something like cfengine does seem to be the way
to go. I may even consider switching at some point, but I do have a nice
setup already...

-h

--
Hari Sekhon