check_host_alive warns for wrong IP {Disarmed} {Fraud?}

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Dec 5 14:12:20 CET 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 1:34 AM, Dinçer Kavraal wrote:

> Hi all,
> I think check_host_alive has got sth wrong with it.
>
> I have controlled output of "check_host_alive" when I saw my host
> down. It was saying: (on page nagios/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi? bla bla
> for host detail)
> CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (85.29.1.77)
>
> However the fact is that I have grepped all relevant nagios
> configuration files and never seen an IP like " 85.29.1.77", I just
> defined host with IP .26.77. On the other hand, I tried to run it on
> console, expectedly it said:
> CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (85.29.26.77)

This is pretty unusual. Please post the host and command definitions.
For a typical installation, check_host_alive uses check_ping which is
just a wrapper for /bin/ping. It asks /bin/ping to ping the host and
parses it's output for the response. Could it have been that IP in the
config file at any time? Do you have multiple copies of nagios running
with the older one having seen that IP in the config files?

--
Marc