Status Map / NOC Screens

Giles Coochey gcoochey at sapphire.gi
Thu Aug 30 09:37:46 CEST 2007

Hello List,

I’ve had a bit of a google and look through the archives, and haven’t found much that will help me on this, so I thought I’d put something to the list:

I’m currently working on user co-ordinates for the status map. It’s an annoying and fidgety task to get everything positioned correctly. I did come across a Linux tool which seemed to be able to help, but unfortunately it required a UNIX GUI, which I don’t have access to.

So, what techniques and tools have you used in design and positioning of items on the statusmap?

I’m currently resorting to using Visio to move text boxes around, each representing a host on the statusmap - having set the page size to around the resolution that will be used in our NOC, but it’s still quite a fiddle and I still have to manually go through my configuration files entering the appropriate co-ordinates. Another issue is that Visio’s origin is on the bottom right of the screen, while Nagios’s origin is on the top right of the screen, meaning that the status map is inverted vertically when put into Nagios from Visio (not a huge problem).

I am intending to use the link:

http://nagioshost/nagios/cgi-bin/statusmap.cgi?createimage

on a full screen browser Window (like Kiosk-Mode) for our NOC, it looks like I will have to embed this to get the page to refresh, plus it also seems that the background will need some work to make it look nice, it would be good to hear if anyone has had experience down this route as well and has any advice, or alternatives to suggest?

We will also have the tactical overview in the NOC (which is probably more useful than the map, but we have a need for pretty pictures as well ☺).

Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice!

Best regards

Giles Coochey