sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Aug 29 23:24:50 CEST 2007

radius.god at gmail.com wrote:
>> My guess would be a broken shell-script that you use as a plugin.
>> Nagios runs plugins by using the popen(3) call, which uses
>> sh -c to interpret and execute the given command.
>
> Thanks Andreas, that appears to have resolved one of the issues.
> Nagios starts with out errors now.  But, it doesn't seem to actually
> run any host or service checks.

That can be due to a plethora of different reasons. One of the most
common cases is that it's disabled through the gui (tactical overview).

The other common case is that you've somehow botched your config. There
are about 6 dozen ways of doing that, so I won't list them here.
Read the docs and make sure you've understood how things are connected.
Then sit down and go through your config. You might want to remove
all checks but one to make sure you start out simple at first. Also make
sure you wait at least 5 minutes (default check interval) before deciding
that Nagios doesn't run any checks.

If all else fails, pay someone to go over your config. A professional will
tell you what's wrong in about 30 minutes, which shouldn't cost you more
than a really large bowl of peanuts.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se