SMS alert

Adam Kennedy akennedy at cyberlinkint.com
Wed Aug 29 22:55:26 CEST 2007

I think it took me all of 15 minutes to get smstools3 installed/running
and get our Samba75 modem installed/running. The samba75 uses the usb
modem driver built into the kernel. Shows up as tty device. Just point
smstools3 to that and voila!

Evgeny N.Stepanov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Actually sending SMS messages is not related to Nagios in any way. The same way as sending SMTP messages is not. But you can use both ways to send notifications. I now use smstools3 (http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com) for sending SMS notifications. This uses GSM modem or phone to send SMS messages connected to serial port of a server running Nagios. But you can use SMS gateways as well. www.nagiosexchange.org has lots of scripts to send SMS in either ways, be it SMS gateway or GSM terminal. The choice depends on your conditions. Using SMS gateways requires instant http (internet) access to the gateway site (usually) and you need to pay to operator. Nagios host is usually running in closed network segment for security reasons, so bringing it to outer world can be tricky.
> Using GSM terminal is simpler and more reliable in production environments AFAIK. And with GSM terminal you can implement more smart Nagios behaviour using incoming SMS and event handlers to issue command to Nagios, for instance.
> As i said, I use smstools3 with Siemens TC35i GSM terminal. Works as a breeze! There was some issues with bringing TC35i to work, but they are described in smstool3 FAQ and hardware compatibility documentation and i resolved them in couple of hours :-) (for example, it doesn't like hardware handshake, so i had to turn it off). I didn't get through sending messages in local (russian) alphabet, but that's coming soon.
> Also, there is a chance to get ICQ or jabber notifications as well. Check nagiosexchange.org. Good luck!

Adam Kennedy
Network Administrator
Cyberlink International
Phone: 888-293-3693 x4352