check_disk confused by negative disk space, fix or workaround?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 17:33:19 CEST 2007

Nagios' check_disk plug-in gets confused when "df -k" reports negative
space remaining on a drive. For example, if df -k says:

/dev/ccd0 567673758 524004492 -1744634 100% /partname

nagios' check_disk says:

DISK OK - free space: /partname 17592186042712 MB (-1% inode=97%)

Is there a workaround here? Can check_disk be told to throw an error
if the remaining space *exceeds* a certain number? Can I tell it "if
you see more than 1 terabyte available, something is wrong [because
the machine in question doesn't have that much disk space], so report
an error"?

(Unix, of course, reserves space for the root user, so negative space
remaining just means all the user space has been used up + then some)