Disk check by check_by_ssh or nrpe or wrapper, which is better?

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Fri Aug 24 08:54:53 CEST 2007

Hi,

24.08.2007 01:24,, Gattu wrote::
> Hey Guys,
>
> Problem:
>
> Monitoring Disk usage on remote machines.
>
> How I solved:
>
> wrote a wrapper plugin which will send command to remote host using nc
> (netcat). On remote host, configured xinetd to run a script which will
> read the command line sent by nc, parsed it and executed ./check_disk
> plugin.

This easily introduces serious security issues.

> Question:
>
> Can the above problem be solved using check_by_ssh?

Yes.

> If yes, i wish i can
> understand how nagios will send warning emails or critical emails?

Exactly the way it always does. The check commands or the actual
programs executed to check things don't have an impact on how Nagios
does its notifications.

> And
> if not the other option is nrpe... but then I will have to install nrpe
> on every remote machine! is that assumption correct?

Yes. Just like you now have to set up (at least) xinetd on the
machines, but nrpe is a bit safer by design. I'd even say that nrpe is
quite safe unless you explicitly allow parameters to be passed, and
unless you don't turn off communication encryption.

> Dilemma!!!!!! help

I don't see the dilemma...

Arno

--