Map / Host Parents / Redundant Rings

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Wed Aug 22 16:52:47 CEST 2007

My network has a few small rings in it.  Certain hosts have multiple
IP addresses.  I use separate hosts entries for those.

It's ugly, but it works.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 10:50:44AM -0400, Adam Kennedy wrote:
> I am also interested in everyone elses feedback with this. We have
> several rings in our network for redundancy and currently I can only
> monitor one path of the ring.
>
> Giles Coochey wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a query with regard to setting up links in the statusmap.
> >
> > In our environment we have high availability redundant rings, e.g.
> > MetroEthernet & RPR.
> >
> > If I try to set up parents as per the infrastructure e.g. each member of
> > a ring has parents of both its neighbors then Nagios complains during
> > the pre-flight check:
> >
> > Error: There is a circular parent/child path that exists for host 'HostA'!
> >
> > Well, yes, very true ? that is our infrastructure design. I understand
> > that Nagios might have some problems with it?s reachability algorithms,
> > but I would like to know how people with this kind of infrastructure set
> > this up.
> >
> > Feedback is appreciated.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Giles

> > Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/

> > ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.
>
> --
>
> Adam Kennedy
> Network Administrator
> Cyberlink International
> Phone: 888-293-3693 x4352
> Fax: 574-855-5761

Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
      Coming Soon: "Absolute FreeBSD" -- http://www.AbsoluteFreeBSD.com
On 5/4/2007, the TSA kept 3 pairs of my soiled undies "for security reasons."