Map / Host Parents / Redundant Rings

Giles Coochey gcoochey at sapphire.gi
Wed Aug 22 11:00:07 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have a query with regard to setting up links in the statusmap.

In our environment we have high availability redundant rings, e.g.
MetroEthernet & RPR.

If I try to set up parents as per the infrastructure e.g. each member of
a ring has parents of both its neighbors then Nagios complains during
the pre-flight check:

Error: There is a circular parent/child path that exists for host
'HostA'!

Well, yes, very true - that is our infrastructure design. I understand
that Nagios might have some problems with it's reachability algorithms,
but I would like to know how people with this kind of infrastructure set
this up.

Feedback is appreciated.

Best regards

Giles