negative check latency with Nagios as VM?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 21 05:48:54 CEST 2007

> Does the comment not to Nagios on VMWare also apply to a Distribution
> server?

Yes, if any of the checks are rate-based with the rate being calculated
by the plugin.  Doing anything on a VMWare guest which is sensitive to
the clock is not a good idea.

So, you can check that (eg) http is up and running.  You cannot read the
network interface counter, compare it to the last time, and calculate a
throughput.  Any statuses that you pass on via NSCA should be OK as
their being a couple of seconds out will not matter.

VMWare themselves advise not to perform any monitoring which is
rate-based on the guest, and further say that any monitoring which polls
hardware (eg network card traffic) will cause performance problems, and
also that monitoring CPU and Memory on the guest is pointless and
misleading and should be done via the virtualcentre or ESX server
itself.

> I'm working with some people at Bright House Networks
> on the new version of check_esx to support ESX3.

My mistake here, I meant *Ground Work Open Source* are working with me
on this.  A slight screwup due to doing several emails at once.  I'd
hate to not give credit where it is due.

Steve