Opinion Sought... Essential Nagios 3rd Party Apps

glynn.seymour at bayerbbs.com glynn.seymour at bayerbbs.com
Fri Aug 17 10:33:45 CEST 2007

A couple spring to mind - Groundwork as mentioned is well worth
investigation, the paid for versions may be worth it depending on your
situation as well - I'm using NagiosQL for config but it seems a little
stalled at the moment.

SNMPTT to handle traps.

Nagios Nuvola skin - makes the frontend really really pretty!

Nagiosgraph to capture performance data into RRDs

Cacti to read those RRDs and make nice graphs from it.

NagVis/Nagios Looking Glass to present current service status to non
technical teams or service desks. NLG is nice and straightforward, NagVis
allows you to overlay Nagios service status onto pics, diagrams etc - we
use it to drill down from region to country to site to server room etc.

Lastly, not strictly related nor essential, e107 - CMS to make an easy
webby collection of links etc.

We have been using Nagios for a very long time, I have been running it
under an older rev for a bit because everything has worked, and there
have been no new features that my install has needed.  However for
various reasons we are now looking to upgrade to current.

I would like some opinions of what the must have 3rd party apps are for
nagios (beyond say NSCA) to make life easier for config, make nagios
look prettier (some Ajax eye candy would be nice in the interface),
extend information presented (graphs etc)...

basically if your using an app... and your asking yourself why the heck
don't they just put this into the main trunk of the program because we
can't live without it then I would like to know about that app and
investigate it for my own inclusion in my upgrade.

Thanks for the recommendations in advanced.

--Chris

Glynn Seymour
Network Consultant
BBS EMEA-IT UK
Bayer plc, UK

Bayer plc is registered in England under number 935048. Registered Office:
Bayer House, Strawberry Hill, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 1JA.
The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or legally
privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not constitute a
waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in error, please do
not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward, or disclose any part
of this message.  Please also delete this e-mail and all copies and notify
the sender.Thank you.

For alternate languages please go to http://bayerdisclaimer.bayerweb.com