** PROBLEM alert - localhost/Current Load is WARNING **

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 18:36:31 CEST 2007

Like other peoples responce, Your issue lacks some details that would help
clarify your situation.

If you issue is every night the LOAD of the Nagios host is rising to a
Warning level at a particular time,

Then mostl likely the fact is the system is stressed at that time, It could
be due to a lot of issues.  At midnight Nagios usually does a log rotation.
If at the same time the Nagios Host is also preforming other high load
activities (like backups, or log rotations of other software, DB stuff
ect..Check CRON for all users)  then it is reasonable that their really is a
High load on the host.

If this is the problem there are several solutions:
1) offset other things that are ussing the load to happen at different
times.   this way the load of each process does not build on eachother.
2) Increase the threshold to accomadate the load (I would not recomend this
if the typical load is very low in comparison)
3) if the typical load of the machine is very low, and only at that time
there is a spike in the LOAD,  AND you choose not to upgrade, reduce load
some other way, or change the threshold.  Then put the service check in
downtime for the 10 minutes every night to avoid the service warning alert.
IF the host stays in warning longer then your duration then you know there
is an unusual problem that needs to be adressed.  setting downtime can be
implemented via a script there should be some examples off nagiosexchange.
4) I am sure there are other options that others will point out.

Tony (author of NC_Net)