Using check_udp plugin for checking SNMP service

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Aug 14 15:26:05 CEST 2007

Once upon a time, Ajitabh Pandey <ajitabhpandey at gmail.com> said:
> I want to use check_udp plugin to check whether SNMP service is
> listening on target host or not. How do we do that? I think we need to
> specify an "expect string". What will be the expect string in case of SNMP.

I believe SNMP is a binary protocol, so a simple send/expect may not
work.

You could probably use check_snmp and check for a variable that is used
pretty much everywhere; I use system.sysUpTime.0 (the numeric OID is
1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0) in a few places.  Something like:

define command {
	command_name	check_snmp
	command_line	$USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ -o $ARG4$
	}

define service {
	service_description	SNMP uptime
	check_command		check_snmp!community!1:!1:!1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0
	}

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>