Nagios best practices?

Syd Alsobrook syd at ittagteam.com
Mon Aug 13 22:14:57 CEST 2007

On Monday 13 August 2007 15:51, Steve Huff wrote:
> Essentially, I'd like to do as little per-host configuration as
> possible;

I use templates only for the base config options such as check frequency and
such. To minimize service definition duplication I use service and host
groups. One example is that I have a host group for any debian servers and in
the config I assign all the services that should be a part of what I call the
base os including a combonation of snmp and nrpe services to that host group.
Now when I stand up a new debian server I add it to the debian host group and
it automatically get 8 services assigned to it.

As for the web based config tools. I have never found one that worked the way
I like to config Nagios and I have been doing it for almost 10 years.

Hope this helps,
Syd

--
Syd Alsobrook