event_handler with Nagios 3 beta ?

oboissard at free.fr oboissard at free.fr
Fri Aug 10 23:39:42 CEST 2007

Hello

Did anyone succeded in implementing event_handler for services with the
new Nagios 3 version ?
I tried to use them but It didn't work
So I tried the example in nagios 3 documentation (http-restart) but It
didn't work too.
Maybe I made something wrong because I didn't see anything in
nagios.log  referring EVENT handler

parts of conf :

nagios.cfg
----------
=> log events , but I don't know where
log_event_handlers=1

=>I comment it because I wanted specific handler for each services
#global_host_event_handler=somecommand
#global_service_event_handler=somecommand

=> dont think it's the  problem :
event_handler_timeout=30

=>enable event handlers
enable_event_handlers=1

commands.cfg

define service{
	host_name		127.0.0.1
	service_description	check HTTP
	max_check_attempts	3
	event_handler		restart-httpd
	}

define command{
	command_name	restart-httpd
	command_line	/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/restart-httpd  $SERVICESTATE$ $SERVICESTATETYPE$ $SERVICEATTEMPT$
	}

   //usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/restart-httpd/ script( from
nagios.org)

#!/bin/sh
#
# Event handler script for restarting the web server on the local machine
#
# Note: This script will only restart the web server if the service is
#       retried 3 times (in a "soft" state) or if the web service somehow
#       manages to fall into a "hard" error state.
#

# What state is the HTTP service in?
case "$1" in
OK)
	# The service just came back up, so don't do anything...
	;;
WARNING)
	# We don't really care about warning states, since the service is probably still running...
	;;
UNKNOWN)
	# We don't know what might be causing an unknown error, so don't do anything...
	;;
CRITICAL)
	# Aha!  The HTTP service appears to have a problem - perhaps we should restart the server...

	# Is this a "soft" or a "hard" state?
	case "$2" in

	# We're in a "soft" state, meaning that Nagios is in the middle of retrying the
	# check before it turns into a "hard" state and contacts get notified...
	SOFT)

		# What check attempt are we on?  We don't want to restart the web server on the first
		# check, because it may just be a fluke!
		case "$3" in

		# Wait until the check has been tried 3 times before restarting the web server.
		# If the check fails on the 4th time (after we restart the web server), the state
		# type will turn to "hard" and contacts will be notified of the problem.
		# Hopefully this will restart the web server successfully, so the 4th check will
		# result in a "soft" recovery.  If that happens no one gets notified because we
		# fixed the problem!
		3)
			echo -n "Restarting HTTP service (3rd soft critical state)..."
			# Call the init script to restart the HTTPD server
			/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
			;;
			esac
		;;

	# The HTTP service somehow managed to turn into a hard error without getting fixed.
	# It should have been restarted by the code above, but for some reason it didn't.
	# Let's give it one last try, shall we?
	# Note: Contacts have already been notified of a problem with the service at this
	# point (unless you disabled notifications for this service)
	HARD)
		echo -n "Restarting HTTP service..."
		# Call the init script to restart the HTTPD server
		/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
		;;
	esac
	;;