nagios service check latency

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Apr 27 00:45:59 CEST 2007

Don't set it to blank, remove the directive entirely. Nagios will fail
if you leave the directive in with a blank value.

> Hosts are responding normally tho it still takes about 2 or 3 mins for
it
> to detect which really is fine.

Hosts will only be checked when a service on the host fails. This is
probably directly related to the service latency for that host.

> but i'm still getting about like 400-700 sec latency on my services.
> service execution time is only like .5 seconds
>
> i'm running outta ideas.

Post an entire host/service definition, not just your templates.

> by the way when i run the -s option in nagios i found this peculiar
>
> HOST SCHEDULING INFORMATION
> ---------------------------
> Total hosts:                     18
> Total scheduled hosts:           1
> Host inter-check delay method:   SMART
> Average host check interval:     3600.00 sec
> Host inter-check delay:          1800.00 sec
> Max host check spread:           30 min
> First scheduled check:           Thu Apr 26 15:04:40 2007
> Last scheduled check:            Thu Apr 26 15:04:40 2007
>

> That's a bit high for avg host check interval isn't it?

Yes, it should be 0.00s but that's what you've specified in some host
definition. ;) You should have 0 scheduled hosts. Nagios will
automagically run host checks as needed.

> Anyhow i'm more concerned with the services still.

Yes, certainly as that's nagios's main focus as well. There's something
fundamental that's missing. I would expect a 286 box to be able to
handle that number of checks easily ;)

I'd try setting in nagios.cfg --

max_concurrent_check=0
service_reaper_frequency=2

If that didn't make a difference I'd try setting normal_check_interval
to 5 in my service definitions. If that worked, lower it progressively.

You also specify performance data collection --

process_performance_data=1
host_perfdata_command=process-host-perfdata
service_perfdata_command=process-service-perfdata

Are these scripts working as expected? If not you could be adding 5
seconds per check to your latency.

--
Marc