nagios service check latency

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 26 21:27:57 CEST 2007

Patrick
> 		Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:16 PM
> 		To: James; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> 		Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] nagios service check latency
>

> 			Ok i have a question about setting priority to
service
> checks
>
> 			since i have a handful of service check checking
> clusters of
> 			servers i'd like the priority of those service
checks as
> high
> 			as for instance...
>
> I'm running about 120 services.
> My Nagios seemed pretty speedy before until recently i dunno what
changes
> i made to do this but most of them should've been just to add a few
> services.
> After  i noticed pretty delayed notifications and then some latency i
> started making changes and it still hasn't changed all that much
>
> here's my nagios.cfg tho
> ###############BEGIN CFG#############################

<chop>

> Here's the service template i'm using:
> ################BEGIN SERVICE TEMPLATE ##############
> define service{
>         name                            local-service
>         service_description             local-service
>         use                             generic-service
>         max_check_attempts                      10
>         normal_check_interval           1
>         retry_check_interval            1

Here you're telling nagios to check a service 10 times with 1 minute
delay between checks once a service goes down before notifying. This is
a 10+ minute delay before notification. You probably want to lower
max_check_attempts.

> ################END SERVICE TEMPLATE ##################
>
> and here's the host template i'm using
> ################ BEGIN HOST TEMPLATE ###################
> define host{
>         name                            linux-server
>         use                             generic-host
>         alias                           servers
>         check_command                   Check_ICMP!1
>         max_check_attempts                      10

Here you're telling nagios to run the host check_command 10 times before
determining the host is really down and notifying. Depending one what
your host check_command is, that could be a problem. For example, if the
check_command is 10 pings, that's 10+ seconds * 10 times or 100+ seconds
during which nagios will do absolutely nothing else except obsess over
this host. It looks like it might only be 1 ping but I don't know if
your Check_ICMP definition actually uses $ARG1$.

>         check_interval                  0

I'd remove this line entirely. I'm unsure what a value of 0 will do but
any host check_interval in highly discouraged in nagios2.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html#host

"check_interval: 	NOTE: Do NOT enable regularly scheduled checks
of a host unless you absolutely need to! Host checks are already
performed on-demand when necessary, so there are few times when
regularly scheduled checks would be needed. Regularly scheduled host
checks can negatively impact performance - see the performance tuning
tips for more information. This directive is used to define the number
of "time units" between regularly scheduled checks of the host. Unless
you've changed the interval_length directive from the default value of
60, this number will mean minutes. More information on this value can be
found in the check scheduling documentation."

--
Marc