Ping and RTA

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 26 16:49:29 CEST 2007

> -----Original Message-----
> From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:nagios-users-
> bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of
> Michael.Washington at fitchratings.com
> Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:39 AM
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Ping and RTA
>

> What is RTA?

Round Trip Average. The average time it took to receive a response to
your ping packets.

>    Between the 10:20 pm and 10:30 pm CST, RTA for the same multiple
> devices
>    increases dramatically and then returns immediately to normal
>    operational/baseline levels.  Any thoughts on what could be the
root
>    cause of such a consistent occurrence?  Would this be symptomatic
of a
>    broadcast storm?  Could Spanning Tree be the root cause?  What is
the
>    most simplistic way to determine the root cause?

Many things could cause it including the ones you mention. Could also be
links approaching capacity, high cpu usage on a router or others. I'd
start by running mtr from your nagios machine to one of the machines
experiencing the problem and examine the devices that showed high round
trip times for anomalies.

--
Marc