Using nagios for machine-to-machine reporting? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Thu Apr 26 01:45:57 CEST 2007

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

  .. snip

> Can machine X contact my nagios server for a machine-readable status
> of machines Y and Z?
>
> I realize I could wget/curl/lynx-source the page:
>
> http://nagios.mycompany.com/nagios/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi?type=1&
host=hostn
> ame

I apologise for jumping in without reading the other responses but there
are
at _least two_ ways you can proceed

1 ad-hoc means of parsing the CGIs

Look at NagiosExchange under reporting or
addon misc. There is a Perl module that someone I know wrote that does
this).

(There is also the built-in bog standard nagstats but this only gives
the summary. You could also fetch
status.dat by ssh and parse it. Not very difficult.)

2 Use a Database populated by NDOUtils (the standard Nag way of adding
DB support)

This in my view is the way to go.

NDOUTils for nothing populates tables with

2.1 configuration data

2.2 outage data

You can select from ... where ... to your hearts content.

If you didn't want to bite the 2.x/3.x/NDOUtils snack, you could have a
global
host event handler that adds records to an outage table.

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED