Questions about Status Map

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Wed Apr 25 17:30:59 CEST 2007

I've never been able to use the status map and now I figured it was
about time I asked why :-)

We monitor mostly services.  Meaning that we don't monitor the network
in terms of routers, etc, so we don't have parent-host relationships.
Mostly just hosts and the variety of services we monitor on those hosts.

At present, I show around 350 hosts and around 1800 services.  So I'm
not wildly surprised if I open up the initial status map page and get
what looks mostly like a sun -- a big circular blob with virtually
nothing that's discernable on it.

So I figured I need to trim the list down.  If I tell the status map to
"include" only a hostgroup with one member in it for instance, I still
see a big massive blob with Nagios in the center (just less green, I
guess).  This is the Circular map type.

If I switch to another map type I seem to never to get away from the
picture with nagios in the center with tons of "empty" spokes.

I suspect I could make more use of the user-defined coordinates, but
with 350 hosts and 1800 services, that doesn't seem very practical.

We monitor "tiers" of an application so there are relationships between
the various services we monitor.  It would be cool to have parent
relationships between services (not really dependencies) and have that
show on the status map, but I don't think that's possible.

So am I using the status map incorrectly somehow?  I've just never found
it to be of any possible use to us.

Thanks

Mark